Monday, September 30, 2013

Wellness Coaching

I've hired a wellness coach.  Amy Moritz is a talented sports writer for The Buffalo News, a St. Bonaventure University School of Journalism and Mass Communication alumna, and wellness coach.  You may learn more about her by viewing her blog at Byline to the Finish Line.

I am tired of feeling tired, quite frankly.  I am tired of looking like a blob of flesh and hair becoming a bit too one with my easy chair.  It's time to get back into the game.

I often wonder why people fall so far off the wagon.  I know that I feel better when I work out and when I eat well.  Yes, chicken wings taste like a little nugget from heaven, but they don't make you feel good afterward.  So why do I eat them, among other things?  Instant gratification?  Stress eating (YES)?

It has been some time since I've posted to this blog and it's been that long since I've been in any kind of healthful routine.

I have charged Amy with kicking my ass.  I will also post regular updates to this blog.  If I am accountable, I have no choice but to succeed. Or I face ridicule, and I don't want that.

What we know today - Day One:

  • I weigh 231 pounds.  That's right.  Granted, I am 5'11" so I can carry 231 pounds better than someone who is, say, 5'2", but that is no excuse.  I always said that when I looked down and saw my boobs and belly lined up, it was time to lose weight.  Now I have, as Pearl says, a "double."  That's a double roll of flab and they are now bigger than my boobs.  Yikes.  
  • I have nowhere to go but down.  My goal is to lose 50 pounds and then check in to see where to go from there.  I have a feeling that 180 might be my weight.  Perhaps 170/175, but let's be reasonable.  I am muscular when you remove all the fat.
  • I have a double chin and my arms flap when I wave.  It's just yucky.
What Amy will do:
  • Check in with me regularly to gauge my progress.   
  • Verbally beat me if I stray from my goals.
  • Encourage me to carry on.
  • Help me to set reasonable goals.
Why Amy:
  • Amy is a talented woman.
  • She has completed several ironman competitions (at least one and I believe more than one, but I could be mistaken).
  • She also hosts women-only wellness events that I think are wonderful.
  • I could have my husband, sister or other friends kick my ass, but it's not the same as someone outside the circle, so to speak.  I would be embarrassed if I didn't meet my goals working with Amy.  The same wouldn't be true of my husband, sister, other friends.
My first day I have scheduled a walk along the Allegheny River Trail.  It is autumn along the trail and it will be beautiful.  Water is also rejuvenating for me, so seeing the river as I walk will be refreshing.  

Cheers!

No comments: