Thursday, February 02, 2006

Richter Center at SBU

I am a professor at St. Bonaventure University. They recently opened this state-of-the-art recreation facility on campus, thanks to the generosity of the Richter family. To say that I am impressed with this fitness center is an understatement. It is a wonderful facility.

And it's busy.

I remember being an undergrad. at SBU. We had a fitness center but it was off campus and not at all convenient. I would go once a year to make an effort and then stop. Of course, that was when fitness wasn't so interesting to college students.

I was pleasantly surprised to see a full Richter Center the other day. Students were everywhere on all kinds of equipment. And most of them didn't seem to care what they looked like. That is a huge test of a fitness center for me. Are people there to show off and look good, or to actually workout. And I think students actually wanted to workout.

I do get a bit discouraged because I didn't see a single faculty member or other SBU employees. I stood out like a sore thumb, in my mind. I imagined that students were wondering who I was, why was I at the fitness center because I am not a student and I am old (older than them)!

I am sure they could have cared less. I still enjoy it. And will return. When I feel motivated. I've already been twice which is better than my undergrad. streak.

No comments: